Week 5 – Assignment: Construct a Problem Statement
By now, based on the feedback from Week 4, you have tentatively chosen a qualitative or quantitative approach with a corresponding design to address an educational problem. Using all of the information you have learned from the course and the resources provided for this assignment, further develop the statement of the problem into a complete paragraph of no more than 250-300 words and cite the relevant literature that supports this ongoing problem of inquiry:
- Begin with the first sentence: “The problem is…”
- Stated as a problem, not a purpose, observation, or assertion.
- This first sentence should clearly identify the problem to be addressed by the study.
- Succinctly discuss the problem and provide evidence from past researchers who have noted its continued existence and cite the scholarly literature that has noted the problem.
- A lack of research alone is not inherently problematic. An inability to find research on your topic might indicate a need to broaden your search.
- It might be helpful to review the resources in the Northcentral University Library, including the Searching 101 video, or schedule a research consultation. Both resources are linked in your Books and Resources for this Week
- Who is impacted by the problem (e.g., individuals, organizations, industries, or society) as described by past researchers in the scholarly literature?
- What is not known that should be known about it as described by past researchers in the scholarly literature?
- What could the potential negative consequences be if the problem is not addressed in this study as described by past researchers in the scholarly literature?
Length: 250-300 words for problem statement (problem statement must be within these parameters).
References: 4-6 scholarly resources.
Your assignment should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the research methods reviewed in this course and the research problem identified by providing new thoughts and insights relating directly to this potential problem of inquiry. Be sure to adhere to Northcentral University’s Academic Integrity Policy.