HUM 111 Week 9 Discussion Reform
“Reform” Please respond to the following, using sources under the Explore heading as the basis of your response:
- Compare Erasmus and Luther in their attempts to bring about religious reform. Consider the role of the printing press and the actions of German princes in helping Luther to succeed. Next, identify one (1) example of the Protestant Reformation’s impact on visual arts. Pretend you are in a company or some other group in which you feel there is corruption. (Use a real incident if you wish). You have the option of remaining and working for reform from within, or of leaving and hoping to start or land something new. Describe your decision and the “dangers” of that decision, and describe the factors that you had to consider.
Need a little help understanding what I’m looking for in the discussion this week? Just watch this video for a little extra help:
- Chapter 17 (pp. 571-3), Erasmus; (pp. 573-7), Reformation and the princes; (pp. 570-1; 579-580), printing press; (pp. 587-591), visual arts; review Week 9 Music Folder
Here’s the template:
Well Hello class and Dr. ABC, here is my post for the Week 9 Discussion on ‘Reform’
How did Erasmus and Luther differ in their approach to reform?
- Both had drastically different ideas on what to do to fix some of the major problems with the Catholic Church at this time. Discuss both approaches
How did the printing press and the German Princes impact the Protestant Reformation?
- This is a central part of the discussion. Luther argued that people had to read and interpret the Bible for themselves so he needed them in every language of Europe. Do you that could have been possible without the printing press? Do you even think Luther’s ideas themselves would have caused such a drastic change without the printing press to spread them to every corner of Europe?
- The Catholic Church had great power and wanted Luther arrested and sent to Rome for trail. The Church could not get their hands on Luther because several powerful German princes protected him. How important was this to making the Reformation happen? Discuss this
How did the Reformation impact the visual arts?
- While the Catholic Church focused a lot on stained glass, paintings and sculpture as a way to reinforce Catholic teachings and worship, Luther stresses a different approach, a much simpler one with less ornate churches and less focus on visual art in religious worship. Talk about what you think of that
What would I do if I were in a situation like Luther?
- This should be a real interesting part of the discussion. I’m sure we’ve all been in work and social situations that we felt were intolerable because of the environment we were forced to endure. What would you do? Leave or fight hard to reform knowing there would be consequences? Discuss a situation you faced and what you did