ENG 215 WEEK 5 ASSIGNMENT 2
Assignment 2: Persuasive Paper Part 1: A Problem Exists
Due Week 5 and worth 125 points
Using your thesis statement and research, present the problem that needs to be addressed with your proposed solution. Note: Your solution, advantages, and challenges, will be in Parts 2 and 3. You are only detailing the problem and making sure the reader thoroughly understands the need to read the next two (2) parts of your paper.
Write a three to four (3-4) page draft in which you:
- Provide an appropriate title and an interesting opening paragraph to appeal to your stated audience (appeal with logic, ethics, or emotion).
- Include a defensible, relevant thesis statement in the first paragraph. (Revised from instructor feedback on Assignment 1.)
- Describe the history and status of the issue and provide an overview of the problem(s) that need to be addressed. You should break the issue down into multiple parts (called “problems” for this assignment). For example, if you were writing about jaywalking in a busy city, some of the problems associated could be (1) the lack of available crosswalks, (2) issues with technology like Walk/Don’t Walk signs and mobile phones, and (3) people’s disregard of established laws due to a sense of self-importance. There are several other problems that could be associated with this issue, but those are some ideas. This section should be one or two (1-2) paragraphs.
- Explain the first problem and provide support for your claims. This should be one or two (1-2) paragraphs.
- Explain the second problem and provide support for your claims. This should be one or two (1-2) paragraphs.
- Explain the third problem and provide support for your claims. This should be one or two (1-2) paragraphs.
- Provide a paragraph that summarizes the stated problems and promises a solution. Do not explain the solution in this paragraph!
- Develop a coherently structured draft that follows the structure outlined above.
- Use effective transitional words, phrases, and sentences throughout the paper.
- Support claims with at least three (3) quality, relevant references. Use credible, academic sources available through Strayer University’s Resource Center. You may use additional resources as needed.Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting guidelines: