CIS 562 Term Paper
Term Paper: Digital Forensic Cases
Due Week 10 and worth 200 points
You have been asked to conduct research on a past forensic case to analyze
how digital data was used to solve the case. Choose one of the following
digital forensic cases:
S. v. Doe (1983), Doe U.S. (1988), People Sanchez (1994), Michelle Theer
(2000), Scott Tyree (2002), Dennis Rader (2005), Corey Beantee Melton
(2005), James Kent (2007), Brad Cooper (2008)
Using the Stayer Library or the Internet, search for the case notes and reports
for the case and answer the following:
1. Summarize the case, the pertinent actors, evidence, and facts.
2. Outline the specific digital evidence that was used in the case.
3. Describe how the investigators found and documented the evidence, if
4. Describe the procedures and tool(s) used for acquiring potential
5. Describe the obstacles faced in the investigation.
6. Outline the most significant improvement to digital forensic
investigations/tools that assisted with efficiency and reliability.
7. Provide the links to two modern tools that could have assisted with the
collection of evidence.
8. Use at least five (5) quality resources in this
assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as